Sunday, October 25, 2009

Incidental activity....more important than we realise


As a nation we are constantly being told that we are an 'inactive' ! We watch too much TV, sit at the computer for too long and generally use a remote control wherever possible. This maybe true for some , however the families that I see in the clinic and the ones that we hang out with are doing everything possible to make sure that they move more. Incidental activity is the non planned exercise you do as part of your day.
We surprised the kiddies last night by taking them Ten Pin Bowling (the joy on their little faces when they realised was fabulous!). Instead of sitting on the couch on a Saturday night watching a family movie, we were out moving (some of us were even dancing as it was an 80's disco bowl- "My Sharona!"....need I say more.). This morning we are going out for breakfast and we have chosen a cafe by the river so we can take their scooters. After breakfast we will scooter the boardwalk and enjoy the gorgeous day that is presenting itself

Getting our kids moving is one of the most important things you can do as a parent. We need to set a good example ourselves, so whenever you can- 'move'- and your children will follow.

Have a happy week-end

Kate x

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow...Amen to that Kate!! I always enjoy your posts! It's funny, I know you're in Australia but you totally described the States as well. I think what it comes down to is we as parents whether we're doing it with a spouse or as a single parent, we HAVE to get out and do things WITH our children. They need to SEE US live active lives! (okay, so that's my two cents ;-D) Oh and thanks so much, I don't think I'll be able to get 'My Sharona' outta my head now...mmm my sharona...

Melissa@Vidastyle said...

I have been looking for your book and finally found it! Looking forward to starting it.