For those of you who a: live in Australia and b: follow AFL....then today is your day. Geelong V's St Kilda, Grand Final Day. I am somewhat saddened as my home team of the Brisbane Lions are nowhere to be seen:( . Aussies take their football very seriously, whatever the code- equally as serious are the football parties which can start the night before the big game.
Ever the hostess (and always thinking of my belly!) below are a few tips for catering for a "footy do"
- It doesn't have to be all 'pies and chips' or 'deep fried'!
- have some low fat dips (hummus/ avocado mixed on low fat Philly cream cheese)
- Serve light crackers or toasted pita bread with warmed salsa
- Serve veggie and salad sticks as dippers (yes people will eat them if they are offered)
- Sliced hard boiled eggs
- Fresh fruits such as strawberries/ cherry tomatoes
- Sliced lean meats
- Small bruchettas or filo pastry wraps
- Meat balls or chicken bites
Remember to keep jugs of iced water or soda water handy - to help hydrate and lubricate the 'rasping' throats.
Enjoy your day and .........GO THE SAINTS!