Monday, December 14, 2009

Fresh herbs........pure perfume!

I simply love what I do. Not just because I help people feel and look better, and possible extend some lifespans; sometimes I receive little thank you gifts especially around holiday time. Now I am not saying that I am motivated by presents but I have been on the receiving end of some delightful gifts. I absolutely love the home made things. One lady brought me some fresh quince jam and another some cranberry sauce for the turkey this Christmas. On Wednesday last week a patient and her mother brought me a full bag of home grown herbs and vegetables which just blew me away - the smell was simply intoxicating (I had literally forgotten what a backyard fully mulched cherry tomato smelt and tasted like - my family used to grow them when I was a child). In my bag -o -goodies was basil, coriander, lemongrass, marjoram, parsley and mint - just to name a few. So today I am throwing together some pesto and tonight's dinner we are having Vietnamese cold rolls (the mint just smelt so good!!!). See my super easy recipe below - you can wrap just about anything in rice paper rolls.
I am inspired to resurrect my herb patch again
Kate x

Vietnamese Prawn rolls
12 rice paper rounds (120g)
1 cup grated carrot
100g snow peas sliced
1 cup bean sprouts
30 g rice vermicelli, soaked in boiling water, cooled and drained
2 tablespoon chopped coriander
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
400 g cooked prawns, shelled (approx 24)

Combine all ingredients in bowl, mix
Dip rice paper in hot water until softens
Add approximately 2 tablespoons of mix and 2 prawns on lower half of rice paper
Roll firmly into spring roll shape
Makes 12
Serves 3
Serve with dipping sauce


Dipping sauce
1 tablespoon caster sugar
1 clove garlic
¼ cup hot water
¼ cup lime juice
2 tablespoon fish sauce
1 small fresh chili finely sliced (optional)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander

Sugar and hot water in bowl, stir until sugar dissolved
Add remaining ingredients, stir and serve
Serves 4

2 comments:

The House That A-M Built said...

Oh they sound divine. I got your comment this morning but I think I pressed reject instead of accept. I am suffering major moron-ness at the moment. Days have been filled for this week. We have had some major turmoil behind the scenes...I need a sympathetic ear... never a dull moment.. good fodder for a few coffees.. alright one coffee and one decaf. Have you got time for a play and swim early next week? A-M xx

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a delicious dinner, just reading the recipe is making me hungry... and I have already eaten! I have got parsley, sage, rosmary and chives in my herb garden at the moment which are smelling gorgeous in the summer sun these days!
:)